Skip to Content
Call Today:
Request Appointment by Text: 832-904-3744
F-1 Student Visas

Obtaining an F-1 Student Visa

Let Our Houston Visa Lawyer Assist You

If you want to enroll in academic classes in the U.S., you need an F-1 student visa if you are not a United States citizen or permanent resident (green card holder). If you do enroll in classes in any other type of nonimmigrant status, you will have violated your status and may be deported/removed. Removal from the U.S. includes a ban on travel to the U.S. for several years, determined on a case-by-case basis.

A Houston visa attorney can review your case and determine the best steps for application. Contact us online or call (832) 981-2170 today!

Legally Obtaining Non-Immigrant Student Status

What is the most efficient and effective way to obtain an F-1 visa? Attorney Mana Yegani can guide you through the process, ensuring that all applications of eligibility are accurately completed, supporting documentation is thorough and deadlines are met.

Once you have applied to and been accepted to a school in the U.S., you will need to complete a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (Form I-20), which can be obtained from the school that accepted you. Additionally, you will need to apply for an F-1 visa through a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Entry to the U.S.

  • The U.S. Customs agent at the port of entry or at the border will approve or deny your admission to the U.S. Possession of a visa is not a guarantee of admission.
  • U.S. consular officers may only issue your F-1 visa within 120 days of the beginning of your course in the U.S.
  • You may only enter the U.S. on an F-1 visa within 30 days of the beginning of your course.

Converting B-1 Visitor Visa to F-1 Student Visa

  • If you have B-1 visa status currently, you are not eligible to enroll in classes in the U.S. To enroll in classes you must first file Form I-539 to petition for an extension/change of nonimmigrant status.
  • If you are applying for reinstatement of an F-1 visa, you must also file a Form I-539.
  • If you enroll in classes prior to Form I-539 approval, you will be ineligible to change your status.

It is important to consult an experienced immigration lawyer in Texas before taking any steps to enroll in classes or change your nonimmigrant status in the U.S. You have options if you are ineligible to change your status and if you are denied admission to the U.S. at a port of entry or at the border.

Attorney Yegani can also help you secure visas for family members once you are in the U.S. Call the law office today to schedule a meeting or to speak with a Houston immigration lawyer at (832) 981-2170.

  • Attorney Yegani sees cases through from beginning to end.
  • Attorney Yegani offers viable solutions to your legal problems.
  • You would have access to Attorney Yegani throughout your case.
  • Our firm provides valuable resources at the disposal of all clients.
  • The Law Office of Mana Yegani is a mutli-lingual firm, with staff speaking Russian, Spanish, and Farsi on a fluent level.

Contact The Law Office of Mana Yegani

Start Your Case Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy