Skip to Content
Call Today:
Request Appointment by Text: 832-904-3744
B-1 & B-2 Visitor Visas

B-1 & B-2 Visitor Visas

Help From a Houston Immigration Lawyer

B visas are temporary visas that are normally obtained by visitors to the United States at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their country of origin. They are the most common, multipurpose visa granted to people who visit the U.S. for business, pleasure or medical treatment.

However, once some people on B visas arrive in the U.S., they find they would like to enroll in academic (F-1 visa) or vocational classes (M-1 visa) in the U.S. People with B-1 and B-2 visas are not eligible to enroll in classes in the U.S., so if you would like to enroll in classes, you must petition for an extension/change of nonimmigrant status (Form I-539) before enrolling in classes.

What Happens if I Enroll?

If you enroll in classes while in B-1 or B-2 status, you will have violated your nonimmigrant status and may be deported. If you are deported/removed from the U.S., you will face a U.S. travel ban for several years. Please see the student visa page for more information.

At The Law Office of Mana Yegani, we assist immigrants of all ages and backgrounds in the U.S. that fall under B-1/B-2 status with visa and other immigration issues. If you wish to extend your stay or change your status in the U.S., working with an experienced immigration lawyer in Houston will ensure that your time, money and efforts are not wasted on application delays and denials.

Reach out to Attorney Mana Yegani today at (832) 981-2170 to schedule a consultation.

Extension of Stay in the U.S.

Initially, B Visa periods of stay last from one month to a maximum of six months. If you wish to extend your stay, you must file Form I-539 and submit all required supporting documents to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). With this form, you may seek change of status to almost any other type of nonimmigrant status and extend your stay in the U.S. for up to six additional months from your initial period of stay on the B Visa.

Change of Status

To change your status in the U.S., you must file the appropriate application and submit all supporting documentation. It is advisable to begin this process well before your B Visa period of stay expires — otherwise you will face deportation/removal proceedings.

Attorney Yegani will help you in all stages of your extension of stay and change of status petitions. When you want to or need to stay in the U.S., you work with an immigration attorney who has extensive knowledge of the system and direct access to decision makers within USCIS.

Discuss your situation in an initial consultation with a Houston immigration attorney today. Call (832) 981-2170 now.

  • Attorney Yegani sees cases through from beginning to end.
  • Attorney Yegani offers viable solutions to your legal problems.
  • You would have access to Attorney Yegani throughout your case.
  • Our firm provides valuable resources at the disposal of all clients.
  • The Law Office of Mana Yegani is a mutli-lingual firm, with staff speaking Russian, Spanish, and Farsi on a fluent level.

Contact The Law Office of Mana Yegani

Start Your Case Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy